11 PEOPLE DIED

At least eleven people have died, including a family that perished in a landslide in Quezon City, while thousands were evacuated due to the torrential rains brought about by the southwest monsoon enhanced by tropical storm ‘Haiku’, officials said.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said in its latest update that over 250,000 families sought evacuation as flood waters rose. 

Several roads were rendered impassable due to the high waters but floods in some areas are starting to subside. In NCR, heavily affected areas included Quezon City, Malabon, Marikina City, and Paig City.

NDRRMC said the government has so far used P12,924,246.80 for its rescue and relief operations.

Malacanang meanwhile has announced work will resume Wednesday, except for areas still under massive floods, while classes in the National Capital Region, as well as neighboring provinces, are still suspended.

“The public is therefore advised that work in national government offices and the private sector resumes today. The declarations of some national agencies, such as the Commission on Audit, suspending work today, and announcements made by local governments concerning the suspension of work and classes in their jurisdictions, however, remain in force,” Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a statement.

The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) has meanwhile downgraded the rainfall warning signal to code Yellow as of 9:00 am.

“Light to Moderate (2-7.5 mm/hr) rains is expected over Metro Manila with occasional Heavy (8-15 mm/hr) rains within the next 3 hours.” Pagasa said in its advisory.

On Tuesday night, officials announced class suspensions for Wednesday, as some areas declare a state of calamity.

Among the cities that have declared class suspensions in all levels (preschool to college) are Manila, Makati, Caloocan, Marikina, Muntinlupa, Navotas, Pasig, San Juan, and Valenzuela. Classes in Pateros, Paranaque, Las Pinas, Mandaluyong, Navotas, Taguig, and Valenzuela have likewise been called off.  Quezon City announced 8 pm it is also canceling classes on Wednesday.

According to the Official Gazette, government work except those for relief and emergency operations is also suspended in Valenzuela; and Commission on Audit (NCR).

Bulacan; Cainta, Rodriguez and Taytay in Rizal have also declared class suspensions in all levels. In Binangonan, classes will be suspended from pre-school to high school only.

The provinces of Cavite, Laguna and Pampanga have also decided to keep classes suspended.

Ateneo de Manila University has also declared classes suspended as have Adamson University and Far Eastern University. The University of the East-Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, which was reportedly flooded on Tuesday, will not be holding classes either.

Colegio de San Juan de Letran, De La Salle University, Philippine Women’s University (Manila and Quezon City), and Polytechnic University of the Philippines (Sta. Mesa, Manila, San Juan, and Taguig), and the University of Perpetual Help (Las Piñas, Molino and Calamba) have also suspended classes. 

The University of the Philippines Los Banos, Manila, and Diliman have also announced that classes will remain suspended on Wednesday. 

Classes have also been suspended at Arellano University and Trinity University of Asia.

Some Universities already mobilized to help flood victims. Here’s a list of schools where you can drop off your donations: Universities gather help

2012Simply Swirls

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s